Heritage

In 2008 Hamelin Brands became the new company name for John Dickinson Stationery, a company with a history dating back to 1804.

You can read about the heritage of John Dickinson on the right.

 
John Dickinson

1804-2008 The History of John Dickinson Stationery

John Dickinson 1782-1869
A Tireless Innovator

At the age of 21, in 1803, John Dickinson was already experimenting with improvements over the prevailing paper making process, the Fourdrinier patent.

In 1809, he developed a patent process for machine-made paper utilising an 'endless web'. From this time right up to 1855 he took out dozens of patents, and many of the pioneering discoveries of papermaking were his.

Inventor, engineer, architect, builder, manager and financier, John Dickinson spent more than 60 years in the trade, and laid the foundations for a company that has reflected his ingenuity and hunger for expansion ever since.

Timeline
1804 John Dickinson sets up as a stationer in the City of London
1809-1830 Rapid expansion, as John Dickinson first buys Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead, followed by Nash Mill and Croxley Mill near Watford.
1850 Mechanical envelope manufacture starts at John Dickinson, producing its first gummed envelopes. By 1876 producing 3 million per week.
1910 Lion Brand adopted as the company logo.
1911 Basildon Bond brand established.
1917-1930 Companies established in South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand, and ultimately a network of manufacturing sites and sales offices in 13 countries around the world.
1918 Millington and Sons acquired, originators of Basildon Bond.
1929 John Dickinson pioneers production of window envelopes.
1932 Basildon Bond becomes the bestselling notepaper in the UK.
1937 John Dickinson pioneer production of Latex Seal Easi envelopes.
1946 Factory in Kirkby, Liverpool, set up for pocket envelope production.
1951 Production of Continuous Stationery established at Apsley.
1963 New 250,000 sq ft stationery factory opened at Apsley.
1966 Formation of the Dickinson Robinson Group Ltd - DRG, to form one of the largest Stationery and Packaging companies in the world.
1974-1979 DRG acquires Papeteries de La Couronne, J Arthur Dixon, Royal Sovereign and John Heath.
1981 DRG Envelope and DRG Stationery established as separate market orientated businesses.
1989 Roland Franklin (Pembridge Associates) acquires DRG.
1990 DRG Stationery sold to Biber Holdings of Switzerland. Name changed back to John Dickinson Stationery Limited.
1996 DS Smith plc acquires John Dickinson Stationery, and the process of amalgamation with Spicers Manufacturing starts.
1999 John Dickinson Stationery leaves Apsley and relocates to Sawston, Cambridge.
2004 John Dickinson Stationery celebrates its bicentenary as the largest UK producer of envelopes, books and pads.
2005 John Dickinson Stationery was purchased by Hamelin, a major stationery manufacturer based in Caen, France.
2008 John Dickinson Stationery rebranded as Hamelin Brands and relocated the business to a brand new purpose build Head Office, Warehouse and Distribution Centre at Red Lodge in Suffolk.